Gratitude for St. Gabriel’s - Heather Bennett

I came to St. Gabriel’s through the back door. Smitten by the vision of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, I was on a quest to determine the impact of his legacy. My journey led me to Fr. Stephen Dunn, then Director of the Elliott Allen Institute of Theology and Ecology at St. Michael’s School of Theology in the University of Toronto. He graciously offered the use of the library in the Passsionist Centre for Ecology and Spirituality which was housed in the monastery located on the grounds of the old St. Gabriel’s church. Suddenly, not only had I reached my goal, but I also had discovered the Passionists and the St. Gabriel’s Parish community. To say I fell in love would not be an understatement.

Here were priests who validated my personhood and who never diminished or offended my womanhood. Here was a vibrant community who welcomed me, where I belonged and to whom I could give what I had been given.


My relationship with St. Gabriel’s has been one unceasing blessing. In the last 5 years, I have had the greatest joy of working with the talented, devoted and creative members of the Garden Ministry in caring for, and inviting everyone to discover the grandeur of Creation and their own true Self in, St. Gabriel's Garden. 


Heather Bennett

Comments