Gratitude - Lily D’Gama

Being a longtime parishioner of St. Gabriel’s, I have many things to be thankful for.

One of them is opening up my mind to a greater sense of spirituality.  This started with discussion meetings that Mary Landry held that broke my conventional thinking that God is somewhere “up there” and we will only get to know “God” in the afterlife.   Reading scripture with new eyes can be quite exhilarating.  

Mary also introduced us to different ways of prayer and one of them being Christian Meditation which was very very helpful to me. 

My mind was also opened up through the wonderful sermons of the Passionist priests and also invited guest speakers.  So many insights on scripture and how to incorporate it in the “real world”.  

I am so thankful to know about Thomas Berry and our connectedness to the Earth and again this is through St. Gabriel’s.   I believe that Thomas Berry is correct in saying that the Church needs a “new story” as the old one is no longer working. 

I have also learned a bit about the Passionist Charism through a discussion group led by Fr. Steve and Fatima Lee.  Here topics about redemption and suffering were discussed but not in a “fire and brimstone” way but a way of hope that the “new story” will become a reality.  Through this discussion group, I have learned a bit more about the religious Passionist community and I think it would be great if this type of discussions could be held with more parishioners.  There might be quite a few parishioners who would like to become lay Passionist members.  

One of the things that I am most grateful for is meeting and becoming friends with the wonderful people of St. Gabriel’s community.  Like Father Paul would say, these are “good people”.   They truly give of themselves to be of service to the parish and the marginalized and they do it with a smile.

All the parishioners and religious folk I know at St. Gabes have a great sense of humor and humor is an important part in keeping a community alive and being of service to others.


Lily D’Gama

Comments