Gratitude - Linda Law

When I landed in Toronto as an immigrant from Hong Kong in 1990, my brother brought me to St. Gabriel’s for my first Sunday mass.  He said this church is close to my home and it is a very beautiful church.  Since then, I attended mass there every Sunday and hopefully will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

I was introduced to the Parish Council by my neighbour (the Council was still active around 1993).  My thought to join the Parish Council was to learn English.  Thanks to Fr. Paul and other Council members who bore with my broken English then.  By being a Council member, I had the privilege to post a photo at the entrance of the Church.  Because of my face and my last name,  many Chinese new immigrants from Hong Kong (who immigrated to Canada because of the political uncertainty in Hong Kong, which would be returned to China in 1997) called the office to contact me for information around the neighbourhood.  They asked about schools, family doctors, library, etc.  I became acquainted with many friends who had strong faith and who missed home.  I asked Fr. Paul’s permission to set up a Chinese Rosary Group so that we could use our mother tongue to share our experiences, get together once a month to pray for our intentions and support each other.  With Fr. Paul’s kind approval, we have been meeting on the first Sunday of every month until now.  After a few years, the English Rosary Group was also setup.  From the Parish Council, I have learnt about many church activities and be involved in them.

In 2005, a call for helpers in the Children’s Faith Program was put up in the bulletin.  The Principal, Vivian took me in and assigned me as an assistant for the class which was preparing to receive First Holy Communion.  My thanks to teacher Anne-Marie from whom I have learnt a lot.  2 years later, Anne-Marie resigned, and she passed on all the materials to me and promised that she will continue to support me at any time.  Knowing my limited knowledge and lack of experience, before I go into the classroom for a lesson, I prayed and asked God to send the Holy Spirit to be among us and use my mouth to teach His word.  Fr. Brando came once in a while to visit the class.  I am amazed by his memory - he can call each student by name.   

I thank God for leading me to this warm welcoming church St. Gabriel’s, and to belong there.  From there, I have learned to believe that whatever I ask, God will provide.  HE provides me with opportunities to become a better person as I continue with my faith journey on earth.

Linda Law

Comments